Saturday, May 30, 2009

From the Motherland with Love

Or not.
I wasn't a big fan of Berlin, but felt bad writing off the country of my ancestry considering the rain, my inadequate layers, and the u-bahn driver strike. So I've spent my past four days in Bavaria (according to my father the place of my true heritage).
But, Dad, I think we need to review a family tree when I get home...
Like every good Millennial, I've used my technological connections (ie Blackberry) to access the wisest of resources (aka Google) and it doesn't seem that either Burch or Kimmelshue have a solid lineage back to Germany. Could this explain why I feel no real tie, let alone any sort of affection, for this place? Perhaps.
Though Munich is smaller than Berlin (I would know because I've walked it nearly in it's entirety since our arrival - with my legs vouching to this truth), it still lacks any sort of real character. The bombings of the war so destroyed any quaintness of the city, and this was apparently replaced by austere facade buildings and a McDonalds for each corner that lacks a Burger King.
Yesterday we took a day trip through the Bavarian Alps to Fussen - the city that hosts Neushwanstein castle (which Cinderella's was modeled after). Disney gave their princess a major upgrade.
Today we trekked out to Salzburg (actually in Austria for others, like me, who didn't initially pick up on this - totally excusable, just don't make that mistake twice!). Highlight: seeing the nunnery from the Sound of Music. Lowlight: walking the entire city in pouring rain.
We've checked the weather for our next stop - Vienna - rain begins appropriately upon our arrival tomorrow night.
With one more day left in Munich before we depart, I'm beggining to feel that this could be a very long trip if I don't get to warm weather and beaches soon - missing Uganda and it's cold showers already? Eeks!
But then again, maybe Google is wrong. (Shocking, I know.) Maybe my German heritage is actually quite strong. So much so, in fact, that I just completely understand why my ancestors left!
xoxo,
Ann
P.S. Next time I'll try not to write after a long, cold day of walking in the rain in order to minimize the critical sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment