Thursday, May 14, 2009

HM

High maintenance.
A title I would argue is undeserved, but many have attributed to my appreciation for fashion, youngest child status, and OCD tendencies over the years. Africa is slowly, but surely breaking me of any such affiliation...
Yesterday's van ride somehow grew from 7 hours to 10 (I'm learning that trips have a tendency to multiply in distance here - no matter the length). The highlight of this was passing the equator and the accompanying water experiment (water really does go straight down! Videos to come later..) Less favorably would have been the bathroom options I braved throughout the day (some of which you all would never believe if I told you, so I'm not even going to try) and our sleeping quarters - which are constantly on the decline. Including cold showers, a broken toilet, no mosquito net, spider #2 (I'm pretty sure they plant one of those in every room), and freezing sleeping conditions (yes - in Africa! It's rainy season... Who would have guessed?) - and that was just last night! :)
Today also held a variety of "interesting" experiences: eating some eucalyptus tree in an attempt to heal this cough I've been fighting (ancient African medicine - it did feel really nice on my throat!), learning how to African dance (Melanie - I've got some new moves for you to bust out at Roys next year!), and finally getting ready for bed by candlelight (my Blackberry had internet, but our room was without electricity?! It was soo Little House on the Prairie though).
As each day passes the small inconsistencies become less surprising and instead surprisingly more expected.
The only thing that continues to catch me off guard here is the view out my window.
xoxo,
Ann
P. S. Praying there aren't any spiders tonight - we can't see them! Eeks!!

1 comment:

  1. HM was my nickname at church in high school...and it was only perpetuated by my insistence on washing my hair (with freezing cold bottled water in a tub) in Mexico. But hey, a girl can serve Jesus with clean hair, right?! Praying for you! xo

    ReplyDelete